Once I had the lesson set up I decided to divide the questions into five different groups. I have the links posted below. This would allow collaboration and prevent all groups being at the same clue at the same time. Now it was time to roll out the lesson!
I spent a good amount of time explaining and modeling the details of the lesson and showing the students which app to use (I really like the red laser app for scanning but anyone would work) and expectations of working in a team. I then divided them into teams according to the different color Popsicle sticks on their tables. I assigned one student to be the "leader" (the leader was in charge of reading each clue and recording the answers). The ipad was rotated around the group so each student could have a turn scanning because of course that's what's most important to 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. So how did they do?
Well, my fifth graders did the best. They worked well together and fully understood the assignment. Fourth grade was okay but did require a good amount of assistance. When it came to third grade, I had to do whole group modeling for the first two questions, but after that they went off in their own groups. With every grade, I traveled from group to group checking for understanding and offering assistance.
The activity did take two sessions to finish but was a big hit with all the students. Not only were they able to use awesome technology, but they learned a lot about the library in the process. I will certainly use QR codes throughout the year given the success of this lesson!
Links for QR Code Scavenger Hunt Groups