Center 1: Video Memoirs (Partner Center)
At this station you will be creating a video memoir. One of you will become Abraham Lincoln and one will become Ulysses S. Grant.
During his tenure as President, Abraham Lincoln hosted many important people at the White House. Two of these people were Ulysses S Grant and General Meade. Follow the steps below to complete your memoir of this dinner.
1. Click on the Abraham Lincoln Telegram app on your ipad.
2. Click on March 12, 1864 and read the telegram.
3. Now click on transcript to read what the actual telegram said.
4. Click on summary to read what was going on at the time of the telegram.
5. Next, click over to see what is thought as the reasoning behind the transcript.6. Now go back to your home screen and open the imovie app
7. Click on the + at the bottom of the screen and begin a new project.
8. Click on the video icon on the middle right screen.
9. You will take turns recording each other.
10. Decide who will be Lincoln and who will be Grant.
11. Now using all of the information you read about Abraham Lincoln’s invitation to General Grant you will become either Abraham Lincoln or Ulysses S. Grant and tell what dinner at the White House was like that night. Write down your memoir before you video it. Remember it doesn’t have to be long, but it needs to be long enough for your audience to understand your thoughts.
Some questions to get you started...
- Why would Grant turn down Lincoln’s invitation?
- Were they angry towards each other?
- Were they just busy?
12. After the first partner finishes, pause the video and switch roles.
13. After you finish your memoir save it by clicking the star on paper icon at the top middle of the screen. Now click on the arrow out of the box icon in the bottom middle of the screen and select “camera roll”.
14. Upload your video to edmodo.
Center 2: Memoir Blogging (Partner Center)
At this station you will be creating a blogging memoir. You will become Abraham Lincoln or his father, Thomas Lincoln.
What was Abraham Lincoln’s life like as a child? We do know that when Abraham was 9 years old his mother died. Follow the steps below to complete a memoir of this event.
1. Click on the audio Lincoln boyhood app on your ipad.
2. Listen to the audio file about Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks Lincoln, Abraham’s parents.
3. Now decide which partner will be Abraham Lincoln and which partner will be Thomas Lincoln.
4. Each partner will open safari on the iPad.
5. Type in kidblog at the top and hit enter.
6. Click on the kidblog link to open kidblog.
7. Click the red secret code button and enter **** and click join class.
8. Now type in your computer login information to set up your kidblog account and click the orange create my account button.
9. Click the pushpin icon at the top of the page. Enter a title for your blog.
10. Now write a blog memoir about the death of Nancy Lincoln and the effect it had on you.
Think about these questions as you write:
- How did you feel when she went to help your sick neighbors?
- Were you worried for her?
- Could you have done anything to help her?
- How will life be different now?
11. At the end of your blog make sure to write your name. (example- by Ms. Anderson)
12. After you write your blog click publish to save it.
13. Now, switch partners and repeat steps 5-8.
Center 3: Voice Memoir (Partner Center)
At this station you will be creating a memoir using voicethread. You will become John Wilkes Booth or the Doctor who tried to save Lincoln’s life.
We know that on April 14, 1865 President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. But what was going through the mind of John Wilkes Booth or the Doctor at the theater who tried to save Lincoln’s life? Follow the steps below to create a voice memoir of this fateful night.
1. On the iPad click on the Ford theater app and take a video tour of the theater.
2. Next, click on the Lincoln's Death Reenactment app and watch the reenactment of Lincoln's assassination.
3. Decide which partner will be John Wilkes Booth and which partner will be the Doctor who tried to save Lincoln’s life and write a draft of your memoir before you record it.
Keep these questions in mind for your memoir..
- Why did John Wilkes Booth want President Lincoln dead?
- Was Booth working alone or did he have help?
- How many years had the doctor been practicing?
- What was the doctor’s specialty?
4. At the end of your memoir make sure to tell me your name (ex. by Ms. Anderson)
5. Now open the Voicethread app
6. Select the bubble with the + sign
7. Select the bubble with the microphone
8. Record your memoir by speaking close to the ipad
9. Now switch roles and record the other partner
These centers were very successful but did take longer that I anticipated with about 1 hour per center. After completion the student were more comfortable with the iPads and memoirs.